Tuesday 10 November 2020

Dear Dad 2020

I miss you sorely my darling dad
Miss those long ago days you know 
Thank you for all those wonderful memories 
I’m so glad you were my precious dad...
Can’t quite remember early days in Geelong 
I guess I was simply way too young 
But many trips back there I do recall 
When we’d pack the car and drive all night
Stopping only for Petrol in darkest hours 
Alec and I would be fast asleep in the back 
Great times with our family friends 
Gyuszi Bacsi, Etta Neni, George and Gina 
Easter celebrations and so much more...
The house you built with your own dear hands 
In Moorook, upon your own first piece of land (SA)
I loved the three acres of sultana vines
The lonely almond tree became my own 
As I climbed those limbs; made it home... 
At Kingston-on-Murray we found some peace 
Beside the mighty Murray, among fruit trees 
You enjoyed taking care of all those fruits 
Watched you picking fruit; tasting, enjoying 
Even in hospital in your last few days... 
You can’t take the Blockie out of you my love...
After your brain aneurysm you were angry too
Said “What have I got to live for now?”
God, that was nearly 30 years ago...
You got used to not driving anymore 
With your tunnel vision too...
You still loved spending family time 
With your grandchildren, great grandchildren too
We’d visit as often as we could you know 
Kept in touch via telephone 
Even though you hated to talk on there I know...
Those last three months we spent; I vow 
Caught up with so much family history 
I watched you improve just enough 
To regain some mobility; some dignity...
We talked of so many wonderful times
Of your one true love; my darling mum
Of leaving family behind in Hungary 
Of travelling to these distant shores...
Your first job in a store; riding your bicycle 
To the Austrian border for your work
Boarding there in deepest winter time 
Your factory work; your precious family 
Ahh we talked of so many wonderful times 
Enjoying each other’s precious company...
You wanted to go; to leave this life behind 
You’d already decided how it should be 
Told the doctor; through my words 
You were ready; mum was waiting for you...
So my darling I had to let you go 
Though I really didn’t want to...
I knew it was what you wanted; needed
God bless you my precious darling dad
Couldn’t have asked for a better man 
To guide me through my life...
Rest In Peace; you are remembered 
Always in our hearts and minds... 

6th October 2020




No comments:

Post a Comment