Friday 22 November 2019

Dear Aunty Roza

Dear Aunty Roza
My dear dad's elder sister
I wish I knew you better
Is it too late to write this letter?

You came across the seas
With your hubby; 3 young sons
Travelled with your younger brother
His pregnant wife; my mother
His young son; my brother
Leaving behind your family
So far away in Hungary...

Australia became your new home
You worked hard to feed your family
Just like my own dear mother too
Here you put down roots
Worked hard in your rubber boots
I remember your working winery
On top of the hill between Moorook 
And Kingston-on-Murray
We lived there for a little while
In a shed out the back
In my vaguest memory...
The wood stove kept us warm
Our beanies we heated there
Along with those green peas
Still in their pods; so yummy
Then we moved to our own property
Out back of Moorook; on Schenscher Road
I loved my old almond tree
My favourite place among the grapevines
We visited often when i was young
Not so much as I grew and left the area
Now you and mum and dad are gone
But never forgotten...
Resting in peace upon this soil
No longer do you need to toil
God bless your souls

Rest in Peace dear Aunty Roza Szabados
16th January 1930- 1st August 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment