Wednesday 19 April 2017

24 hours

The phone rang; wasn't surprised
Knew this day would come
Mum's getting weaker; please draw near
Her time is finally here; is come

On auto-pilot I set off
Covering many miles
Like an automaton I simply flew
Tyre noise going on and on

At last I crossed the final bridge
Lights of Berri 
Across the River Murray

The air conditioner has kept me 
Cool...
The air outside no longer cool
Berri; hot and humid
Unbearably so
I suddenly felt so tired
I'll let you know
My brother's words offended
"What took you so long?"
"Have you been to the hospital yet?"
I was trying to call them; no luck yet
"Yes; come and stay the night beside mum
Sleep beside her till she's done"

Mum was asleep; dreaming on
Did she even know that I'd come?
I listened to her breathing
I heard her muffled cries
Each time I was ready
To jump up; comfort her; my dear mum
In the morning I was beside her
As soon as she was awake
Held her thin fingers; just as I'd always done
She kept reaching out her tired fingers
Grabbing a hold of the rail
I aided her efforts without fail
My fingers held hers closely; my dear mum
I fed her a few morsels
I gave her drink in hr great thirst
I guess dear Lord; your answer 
To my question is...
When I ask you dearest Father
"Did i do enough?"
I covered her when she was cold
I wiped her sweating brow
Now I finally know dear Lord
Your answer is "Yes"

27th  28th December 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment