Wednesday 19 April 2017

The last 24 hours

I sat in church and cried Lord
I asked you if I had done enough
Did I live this life of mine?
With honour and with love
Did I love enough to satisfy
All the needs of my family?
Lord?
Did I do enough to aid my mum?
While I yet had the chance to try
Did I truly do enough?
In those last 24 hours before she died...

As the tears poured forth from within
I asked and you heard my pleas
Ah dear Lord I asked you; I did plead
Did I do enough to repay her?
For the dearest mother; who gave me birth
Did I come close enough to repay her
Was my life and love of any real worth?

In those last 24 hours 
I was there
Right beside her
Stroking her dear old face
Giving her sips of water
Feeding her tiny morsels
Yes; holding her tired old hands
Covering her with a blanket
While she shivered...
Aiming the fan at her
When she was hot...
My hands held with her tired fingers
As she grasped for mine
I felt the warmth of her loving touch
I gave what little comfort I could
Oh Lord 
Was it enough?

Then as she drew her last breath
I was afraid...
Not knowing what to do
Not knowing her end had come
Ah dear Lord...
As her eyes rolled back 
As she took her very last breath
I was afraid...
I was so afraid...
That I had let her down...

Ah dear Lord you gave me answer
In the simplest of ways
Telling me that we were covered
In Jesus' precious blood
For my Lord showed me then
"I did this for you my child
I gave my life for yours
Now as you have repaid me
Now you have given back your pain
Know you that when you give
To any in my name
It is as if you have done it for me
It is as if you have done it to me
Rest easy sweet Rose
I have gathered her into my arms 
As I will gather you one day 
And take you home again
Rest easy my sweet daughter
All is well my love
Know that you are covered
In my precious healing blood...

28th January 2017




No comments:

Post a Comment