Tuesday 7 November 2017

If I should die tomorrow

If I should die tomorrow
If all of my days are gone
I'll have lived and loved through sorrow
This will have been my final song

I have lived through many decades
I have swallowed my pride anon
And through all this I've followed
The beat of my very own drum

I have given my heart to another
I have borne my children as well
Some days were like I was in heaven
While others were like a living hell

I was never one to be bothered
I was much more the quiet one
And though I was led by others
I am glad to have seen the sun

Though shy and retiring and quiet
I could stand up to anyone
Without uttering a single word; my darling 
I changed things; my stubbornness won

I felt battered and bruised and blackened
When I could not back down from fun
At times I did cause a blooming riot
As I acted and played the clown anon

I gave all I had; to be counted
For I was so desperate to please
Kept quiet when I could have shouted
It became and insidious disease

Ah if only I could change colours
I would become red with rage
Fighting the wrongs of this lifetime
But soon now; I'll tremble with age

No longer fearful; cowardly; yellow
I am finding my feet once again
Daring to say what I'm feeling 
Instead of keeping it hidden in pain

Too long have I held my temper
Thought it better to leave words behind
Couldn't face all the aggravation
I only wanted to be thought of as kind

Now; as mortality suddenly hits me
Now; as I see beyond my fears
It is painfully clear as the new day dawning 
I must stand up; count all my tears

How much can one woman bear
As she struggles to make amends
How far must she really travel?
Before her life on this earth ends...


No comments:

Post a Comment