Saturday 27 October 2018

Dulcie's sausage rolls



Dulcie was the sweetest old lady
The nicest neighbour to be had
Over 93 years of age; she was
She lived alone; it wasn't so bad
While she was still sprightly
She certainly got around about
Her dear old head sparkled whitely
If she ever needed a little help
She would ask so politely and
This she would so kindly repay
With cooking; she would always repay
For her neighbours; day by day
Her sausage rolls were nutritious
Tasted scrumptious; so delicious
Lip smacking; they were eaten whole
What more could I sincerely say?
Her Anzac biscuits too; were scrumptious
Delivered by her dear old hands
Haven't eaten any so lovingly made!

Now my darling dad passed in October
Saturday the 6th was this sad day
At the end of the following week; we gathered
To farewell him along his way...

At the wake were several dishes
Spring rolls; chicken; dim sum; satay!
Pies and pasties too were delivered
But it was the sausage rolls 
That drew me that day...

Shelley looked at me; commented
"What? Mum, you're eating a sausage roll!"
I said "Yes! What of it darling?
It is for Dulcie I eat it today!"
That was on Friday the 12th of October
In this year of 2018; in Berri SA

A few weeks later I was driving 
Past Dulcie's old Goolwa unit; 
Her erstwhile stomping ground
A "For Sale" sign; there I noticed
Yes her old unit was there on display

Again time passed quite slowly
Thursday the 24th of October came around
Met up with another old neighbour
Lynne R and her pet Marley of local fame
She told me of poor Dulcie's misfortunes
Of her fall; hospitalisation in Millicent
Her hip operation, her decline and
Ah sadly; dear old Dulcie had passed away
On Friday the 12th of October 2018
Way down south; Mount Gambier way

God bless you dear old Dulcie...
Back then; a few weeks ago...
I somehow knew; you had gone your way!

Rest in Peace Dulcie Hunt
1924- 12th October 2018
Aged 94 years








No comments:

Post a Comment