Saturday 27 October 2018

My grandparents from Hungary

My mother's father was a carpenter
After his training, a carter at first
At cart wright; technically (I guess)
Making people's carts...

My father's father was a farmer
With 10 living children..

He was a Russian POW in WW1
Not in a camp; but as a worker for a farmer
He had to work there for 4 years
Then he was finally allowed to walk home
He lost parts of the sole of his feet to frostbite...

Dad and his older brother Imre Jnr
Slept in the barn loft above the animals
It was lovely and warm in there
The younger children slept behind
The kememce (bread oven) 
Whilst the girls slept in another room
Sharing large beds; 3 to a bed
There were 4 boys and 6 girls
Imre, Dad, Antal and Pali
Rozsi, Zsuzsa, Iluzs, Margit, Nusi and the youngest

Talks with my father 
18th August 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment