Wednesday 28 February 2018

Letters from Kapooka

He fell in love with a young woman
He said he'd do anything 
She asked him to make a man of himself
Before he bought back a ring 
He signed up for army duty; enlisted
Thinking it would be the very thing 
But after a short while; he realised
No young woman was worth the sting
His letters arrived from Kapooka
A sad young man; to say the least
He said he could not take it
No; he could not tame that beast

As his sister; I was saddened
Upset that she could sing such a song
Not caring for his honest sacrifice
She had gathered up; moved along
As I read his letters; I was crying 
Poor young man; so ill used; abused
He could have been there; dying
For all she cared; her feelings; obtuse
Well; Sharon; I do remember
Your name was upon his lips
Young love gone wrong; I realise now
Fate does so toss the chips...

1970's


No comments:

Post a Comment