Tuesday 8 June 2021

Continuing the pain saga 15 May 2021

After everything else I’ve had a CT scan. 
It shows osteophytes or bony growths on my spine at the spot where rib pain keeps coming back. Finally something has shown up! These bony growths impinge on my nerves when running etc. 

Ankylosing Spondylitis was mentioned...
I’ve already thought of this as my ankles always used to slip out of place whilst running. You’re running along and about to put your foot down but can’t because suddenly it’s not able to take your weight. You need someone to gently pull it back into position. Not much fun! (Now I can honestly say that I don’t get this anymore...since taking up running through the sand dunes I have strengthened my ligaments and joints.) 

Blood tests to check for the gene gave come back negative. Okay that’s good! I didn’t want it anyway! Lol! 

Also got tested for Thalassemia. People of Mediterranean heritage have this illness. Smaller red blood corpuscles, and less of them making oxygen uptake lower and exercise difficult. Negative also! 

I was running the other day... felt a bit hot, so I took off my vest. As I was running I was carrying it in my right hand and it felt awkward as I ran. 
Suddenly: realisation hit me...
As mothers and women in general...
Upon which shoulder do you carry your shoulder bag? That huge bag that has to have absolutely everything except the kitchen sink...
Let me guess? On your right shoulder! Right? 
I’m right handed so I carried my kids on my left hip! 
Therefore baby bag and handbag etc on my right side! Isn’t it obvious? I have created this pain over the last 40 odd years of my life! Always having my heavy bag sitting on my right shoulder; creating compression on my right side! 
Great! At least I know why I am experiencing this pain now! 

I’ve stopped doing my 2kg weights over my head to workout my arms. I’ve stopped weights all together. Pain has not been anywhere near as bad! Still; I want to strengthen my arms and continue to lose weight...but have changed my approach! 

Trying isometrics and pushups...on my knees...obviously can’t do the full plank!
Hell I’m 64 not 16! Starting off slowly! 

Shelley has mentioned how good yoga is! So that’s my next option! 

I’ll keep you posted! 

15 May 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment