Saturday 12 June 2021

Memories of Dulcie Margaret Hunt

Flowers from Dulcie’s garden 
Roses; sweet and pure 
Memories of times shared 
These grow; endure 
Dulcie Margaret Hunt 
Born inthe Riverland; 1924
I met her in Goolwa 
Simply living next door...
Dear sweet old lady 
She was a pleasure to know 
The best homemade sausage rolls 
I ever had the pleasure to devour 
A gift for a little bit of help 
When she was in need too...
Delicious Anzac Biscuits 
Of these we ate quite a few 
For easing her burdens 
Whenever we could too...

It’s funny how things happen 
But this I promise you...
At Dad’s funeral in Berri 
I knew Dulcie was gone too! 
I don’t know how I knew 
But as I picked up that sausage roll
I dedicated it to you! 
I said “This is for you Dulcie!”
Shelley simply looked at me; surprised 
“What? You don’t eat sausage rolls!”
Thursday 12th October 2018

A few weeks later I met Lynne Robinson 
At the local shopping centre 
Another neighbour from the units 
She told me all about dear Dulcie 
How she’d had a terrible fall 
Was taken to hospital near her son
Down in Mount Gambier; South East 
That’s where dear Dulcie has passed 
Sometime in October 2018

Just the other day; I was thinking 
About dear Dulcie again 
Looked her up in Billion Graves 
A site that’s free to use...

Dear Dulcie Margaret Hunt (aged 94) 
Passed away on 6th October 2018 
The same day as my darling dad 
Something told me she was gone 
When we were celebrating dad’s life 
So in her honour...
I ate that sausage roll it’s true
Yes; sweet Dulcie Margaret Hunt 
Rest In Peace! Here’s to you! 



No comments:

Post a Comment