Wednesday 16 April 2014

The road home

I had gone to see my mum and dad
Wondering about the life we’d all had
So many long years ago: I remembered
A young man: I asked about him for there was
A time when he’d been sweet on me!
He’s passed away a few years ago
My brother said to me: gone to God
Left his earthly body: spirit flown up
I felt sad to hear of his demise and yet
It had been many long, long years I know
My brother showed me the little card
A memento from his funeral that he’d kept
This poem caught my eye and so
I wrote it down: don’t know why!

Now a month later on as we say goodbye
To my husband, father and grandfather
Of our dear children and grandchildren
The same words: so beautiful, appropriate
Are being read to all our friends and loved ones
Shelley read them out on the 14th of March
At Somerton Park in that little church
Where we’d spent so many wonderful years
Worshipping our dearest Lord and Saviour
Among our dearest friends: there we said goodbye!


The road Home

When I come to the end of the road
And the sun has set for me
I want no rites in a gloom filled room
Why cry for a soul set free?
Miss me a little- but not too long
And not with your head bowed low
Remember the love that we once shared
Miss me a little but let me go!
For this is a journey we all must take
And each must go alone
It’s all a part of the Master’s plan
A step on the road to home
When you are lonely and sick of heart
Go to the friends we know
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds
Miss me a little but let me go…


No comments:

Post a Comment