Monday 24 October 2016

Never been good enough

In my mind
I've never been good enough
Never been able to stand up
To be counted...
As one of the gentler flock
Never have I ever felt strong
In any of my younger years
Through all of my solemn tears
I have felt lost and alone
Separated from the just 
Alienated from all trust
Yet I was just as pretty as the rest
Though not in my eyes
No; never in my eyes!
Now as I look back and wonder
As I honestly see myself and ponder
Was I any different from the rest?
Were my trials any worse that theirs?
Ah dear Lord I have always been
Less than; never as good
Please let it be understood
In my eyes I was the ugly duckling
The sad, little, lost and lonely
Never the happy; the comely
I was angry at the whole world
Dis-satisfied; yes; many a night I cried
Pretended to be happy but deep inside
I know I lied; I know I desired
To be like all the others...
The popular ones...
The pretty ones...
The taller ones...
The talkative ones...
But that could never be you see
For I was different...
The black sheep
Amongst the fairer flock
Painted with sin from an early age
Useless; or so I thought

Now as I am made to look within
Now as I pull back those layers 
Peer at the younger me
The one I would always see
Was the shy little teen
Too scared to say boo
Hoping that I could sink into the ground
Not be noticed; not be seen
Certainly; I was no beauty queen
My nose too long; ears too big
Horrid gold filling in my front teeth
I felt fat and ugly; though I was not
Tiny little girl I was
Five foot nothing; all skin an bones
Acted like a snob they said
But not in my head
I was terrified to be noticed
Did not want to be seen 
And yet...
I dearly wanted someone to notice me
Someone to love me
Accept me as one of the group

I'm almost 60 years of age
It is only now; at this late stage
That I am finally seeing some worth
Seeing some blessing instead of a curse

I have been under the thumb for long enough
Under the knowledge of being thought worse
Less than; substandard; what a curse
To be lost within myself
Stranded; feeling dis-ease
But through it all
I am who I am
The sum of all of my fears
All of my problems...
I wish them to disappear
I would see myself anew
A good person through and through
Doing the very best that I can
Accepting myself; according to God's plan

No comments:

Post a Comment