Thursday 27 October 2016

Threads and chains

I've broken many of those old chains
Using hammer and fine chisel too
I've managed to slowly chip away
At those things that held me to you

I was chained within my heart and soul
Hurt by all those things you said and did
Even though you've passed away; dead
I realise; you still control me in my head

All those many times you made me feel
Like I was worthless; less than human; see
I believed everything you told me; all you said
I was conditioned; trapped in this marriage bed

I know I made it with you; stripping off old sheets
Laying down the new: allowing you to rob me
Of my confidence; of my beliefs; of my sanity
For in my naivete I allowed you to control me

I was conditioned to react in certain ways
Fear made me feel thus constrained
For deep inside; I must confess; on many days
I was afraid of you; of your anger; pained

Now; as I am learning to live unchained
I am beginning to believe in "me" again
I am sawing through invisible silken threads
Balloons of pain; I release within my head

As these balloons slowly float up out of sight
I know I am now free at last; no longer must I fight
I release the pain of days gone by: yes it's true
Just as they disappear; I am slowly freed from you

No longer must I quietly walk; head bent low
I am standing tall; I know my pace is still slow
But I am cleaning out all the pain of my life
All those eggshells; laid by you; for your wife

Now don't get me wrong; please understand
There were many good times amid the bad
But somewhere along the line of life; I had to flee

Forgetting to hang on to all that was really me

No comments:

Post a Comment