Monday 15 January 2018

Hypothermia

August waters; cold as ice
Seemingly pleasant
Beneath a pale winter sun
Jumped in; voluntarily you know
Set to retrieve; as I believed
It would be fun...
Shock struck; at my whole being 
As I sank beneath the flow
Pain erupted throughout
God I know; couldn't breathe...
As needles of ice: surprised
My skin tingled everywhere
Could not dive beneath
Panic almost set in
Dog paddled; gasped in
Shallow breaths of air
Frantically tried to cope
As I reached for the rope
With the long pole I probed
Couldn't touch the bottom
Was so out of my depth...
Tried to swim to the duck board
Clamber out...
Couldn't lift my cold body out...
Tried the steps at the pier
God help me: frozen in fear
My body; mind clouded
Muscles frozen; clumsy too
Hypothermia setting in...
Cold water freezes bodies
25 times faster than cold air
Managed to grab hold
Pull myself slowly up
Stuck half way; couldn't move
Felt I'd fall back in
That hellish icy drink
Couldn't move; could barely think 
Panic; again; my enemy drew near...
Your lowered hand; I grabbed at
Desperately; thankful; you were there
Finally; I floundered out
Bruised; battered; bleeding 
Cold, red and raw
Skin tingling; dulled senses
Fingers clawed...

3/8/2017




No comments:

Post a Comment