Tuesday 10 April 2018

We're not promised tomorrow

Every time I take a drive in my car
There's one song that I want to hear
Megan Trainor's version for a start
Her words simply tug at my heart
"No, we're not promised tomorrow"

As I drive along the words serenade
My voice sings along with my heart
"So I'm gonna love you
Like I'm gonna lose you
I'm gonna hold you
Like I'm saying goodbye
Where ever we're standing
I won't take you for granted
Cause we'll never know when
When we'll run out of time"

Each and every day is a blessing
To be enjoyed with your loved ones
You never know when your time will come
Mum is gone; it's been over a year already
When will it be time for dad to go?
Nobody knows God's timing...

I've known Effie and Tony for years
Saw her only yesterday at her fruit stall
She looked a shell of her former self
She always used to hug me so hard
Thump me on my back with strong arms
But not anymore; her beloved Tony died
Suddenly he was gone; a heart attack
As he was sitting in his chair; aged 83
I couldn't imagine a better way to go
Yet she is left desolate; unhappy

I now wonder how dad feels about mum
Occasionally I see a tear in his tired old eyes
I see that he is no longer the man he once was
He is slow to move; more bent with age
He too is 83; when will his time come?
How much longer do we have?

So I try to spend as much time as I can
Making him happy; playing cards
Bringing him puzzle books
Watching him; surreptitiously
Taking in his thin arms; his colouring
His pale skin; he used to be as brown as a berry
He used to be so strong and wiry
Now; everything s a struggle

Then I think of my own life
It's been tough; ups and downs
Some good times among the bad
I've finally come out of my shell
Been through my very own hell
But at last; I feel loved; appreciated
I feel like I've found myself
Through all my own sorrows
There is happiness at last
But how long will it last?

"No, we're not promised tomorrow!"

So I'm gonna love you
Like I'm gonna lose you
I'm gonna hold you
Like I'm saying goodbye
Where ever we're standing
I won't take you for granted
Cause we never know when
When we'll run out of time!"


No comments:

Post a Comment