Thursday 27 February 2014

Down memory lane 2 Kingston-on-Murray

Drove through Kingston-on-Murray the other day
Thought to take another visit down memory lane
Passed our old house on that hill: it's there still!
The fruit trees have all gone, years ago: but for me
It is those beautiful trees I still see: in my memories
I remembered that fantastic old walnut tree: I climbed it
Took my children back a while ago: reclaimed it
So many things have certainly changed along that road
But for me I still see it as it was way back then: if you ken
Yes for me it is as if nothing has changed: just re-arranged
Yes it's just moved around a bit inside my head: registered

Called in to visit my uncle & aunt: she'd just gotten home from work
Uncle was at his precious bowls game: far away: too bad
We caught up a lot of missing years: oohed & ahed over the new babies
Exchanged addresses & talked of times gone by: you know why
It eases hearts to understand how time does fly: revisiting past days
Sharing those memories that linger still: feeling a little "over the hill"

Then as I wandered further down: watched the scenery passing by
Recalling times along my life's trail: yes it's all there: without fail
The cutting shed at Barich's, the road to the ferry: long gone away
Then I turned into that familiar road: still the same: not much has changed
Though there are fewer orange trees I must admit: still it resonates
It tears at my heart strings: so many good things happened here
We grew up cutting apricots, running around the property
Yes, with Roslyn, Jenny & Nancy: to name just a few, my brother Alec too
George & Gina used to visit here: at the hottest part of the year
Our families became as one as we traipsed around in the sun
I do remember all that fun: what memories we made: recalled again
Now as I sit here chatting with dear Laura & Gil Harrington
It all just starts coming back again: in dreams I came to find the girls
Through many of these memories I am here again
Being photographed upon a stool: Alec with his cowboy hat on
Thank you Mr & Mrs Harrington: your love through all this has shone
60 years you celebrated last year on October tenth: wow what an event!



No comments:

Post a Comment