Saturday 8 February 2014

Flatmates

During my second year at Uni I lived in a flat in Findon; sharing with some friends of friends. When they decided to they wanted to move into a house a bit further out of the city I was reluctant to move with them because I didn't know the area very well. I decided to stay at Lelos Village & tried to pay the rent on the flat by myself. I wanted to be independent. I wanted to be all grown up & do everything for myself! I was still studying my Uni course & had managed to convince my bosses at Bertie's Pancake Factory that I was worth keeping on as a regular waitress because I'd showed that I was keen to work hard.  I enjoyed waitressing & desperately wanted to keep my independence!

Within weeks I realised I was not going to be able to earn enough to keep the flat by myself. I advertised for flatmates & had no choice but to accept two guys so that I could stay where I was. Boy was I naive!  I expected other people to be as honest as I was. For example: if I agreed to pay for my share of something that that’s what I did! That’s how I’d been raised by my parents!
Well here I was: a country girl: thinking I could survive in the city! Those two obviously never intended to pay their way & just used me & expected me to take it without saying a word! Not being a very forward person I just waited for them to offer the rent money when it was due! Boy was I in for a shock!

I bought groceries & cooked meals: they ate the food: complimented me on my cooking and paid for nothing!





No comments:

Post a Comment