Wednesday 19 September 2018

Santiago's fire

There was smoke in the kitchen
Ah the smell; intense as hell
My darling little grandson
Was up to no good...I'll tell
He reached up to turn the switch on
Though he could not really see it
The trouble he caused; dear Lord
Though he wasn't even three yet
Upon that cook top; the Tupperware
Was melting; it was becoming molten
All because I hadn't taken precautions
Hadn't removed that silly switch...
Knowing full well our little rascal was about
His favourite game: to turn everything 
On and off; on and off; on and off
Light switches, pull cords; you name it
That was the name of the game...
Michael saw the fire burning 
Called out for help you see
I was thankful for that fire blanket
Hanging there in my old kitchen
Thank God I had bought a few 
I whipped it out of its package
Threw it upon that open flame
It quickly put that fire out
Stopped that dangerous fire...
We opened up all the windows
Open up all of the doors
Allowed that fresh air in to clear up
All that horrible black smoke
Thank God for fire blankets!

11th September 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment