Wednesday 7 March 2018

Let us humble ourselves before the Lord


It is nearly the end of another year, only one more week to go.  Whenever we observe ordinances at our church, we have the foot washing ceremony before we partake of the bread and grape juice. We humble ourselves and apologise to each other in case we have offended with our words or actions... We take this service very seriously, as we honour our Lord, just as He commanded us to do in our memory of Him. How many of us have humbled ourselves before our family and friends when we know we have made mistakes? Said words that should not have been said? Done things that we know we should not have done... 
According to the Japanese...man has three faces...
The first face we show to the world... At work...outside of our homes, the polite facade that we put out and carry around all day...showing our "best" "outer mask" if you will, hiding behind the expected manners and supposed morals and expectations of our society...To people we might not actually respect and love but MUST show because it is expected of us.

The second face...the inner being...that God only knows...He sees into our very hearts and souls. He knows our deepest thoughts, our fears; our worries; our temptations...There is nothing that He does not know about us... These thoughts and feelings we do not even show to our closest friends and families... These hidden thoughts are what make us who we truly are. God knows the real being and no matter the outer mask we show...He knows us inside out!

How many have let pride and ego; take the reins? How many think they hide behind their mask and not actually try to change their attitude to the ones who truly matter most...Your family; your children; your close friends...These are more important than anybody else and yet we treat them worse than those whom we only meet socially...

Soon it will be the new year...people make their new year's resolutions, set goals; try to achieve something better for the coming year...Do we try to set goals that are too difficult? Do we aim too high? Do we set ourselves up for failure? Maybe, but if we didn't try to improve ourselves...our lives, we would also be lost...

I apologise to any person I might have offended with my words... I apologise to my family and friends both near and far if I have offended in any way and not been there when you needed me... I humble myself before my Lord for he knows of everything that has troubled me this whole year. Mostly I apologise to Him for my fears...For my lack of faith and trust in Him... I apologise to my Lord for being a sinful human being...For any silly thoughts...For my laziness...For my envy...For my pride...For my anger...For my greed...For my lusts of the flesh...

We should never judge another person for we do not know all of their circumstances...
Only God has that knowledge... We cannot compare ourselves to any other human being and neither can we look up to them... 
If we compare ourselves to Jesus...we all fall short...

24th December 2015

The third face we show to our families...
Such a crying shame that they see us at our very worst...




No comments:

Post a Comment