Monday 20 February 2017

Dad's memories of Tasmania

After showing dad the souvenirs
Of Tasmania; Queenstown circa 1962
I recounted some of my thoughts
And memories from that family trip
Princess of Tasmania cruise
Queenstown mountain driving
I didn't like all the bends
I asked which car it was and
Was it true we were having a race?
With some young people
Was there an accident up there?
This is what he replied...
We took the red and white Holden
On our trip to the Apple Isle
All was good my darling girl
on that trip to the Fair Isle
But I remember it was an earlier time
I'b bought the old Ford Customline
For 500 pounds; second hand
We were driving along the Great Ocean Road
When some young people wanted to race
I got her up to 100 miles per hour
Before I stopped racing; slowed down
Your mum, brother and you were in the car...
Turned around and headed back to Geelong...
Just as well I didn't continue on
For as I turned into our driveway
The kingpin in the front wheel gave out...
You wouldn't be writing here right now
If i hadn't turned back then

I thank God we are all here
Safe and sound...
You never know what could have happened
If my darling dad
Had not turned around...

No comments:

Post a Comment