Saturday 11 February 2017

My special treasure

This picture book has ever been
My special treasure; my pearl
Ever since my parents gifted it to me
Yes; ever since I was a little girl...
The artwork I found enchanting 
Just like the stories I found inside
It has been my favourite storybook
It has always been my joy; my pride
I coloured in the precious pictures
Added some sparkle; deeper hues
Because I wanted to make it better
Simply because I really wanted to...
I loved to dream about my future
Loved to imagine that princess was me
Being kissed upon my own pink lips
Being swept off my own two feet; you see
Every little girl dreams of her future
Every little girl seeks to grow into beauty
Getting married; having her own children
Being loved and doing her family duty

Today I read a story to my grand daughter
She is only three yeas of age
Today we shared a very special bond
As we sat together; turned the page

I saw in her eyes the glorious wonder
I saw in her a special love; it's true
A love for beauty, joy hope for the future
Just like I had; probably just like you do too...

The Sleeping Beauty and other stories 
by C Perrault
Illustrated by BenVenuti
Retold by Shirley Goulden
1958
Reprinted in 1963

No comments:

Post a Comment