Wednesday 22 August 2018

Coversations with my father

Haven't talked like this
In quite a long time
I guess the thing is this ...
We didn't make time
We were living our lives
Time simply flew away
Today I looked him in the eye
I'm so sorry dad; sad to say
Life got in the way...

Time and distance were the thing
Though I did regularly call up; ring
Visits became few and far between
As children grew; grandchildren came...
Today as I drove those long miles
Many memories; thoughts came
I wandered back through time
Reminiscing; reliving; imagining
Wondering what I would find...
When I left you just a few weeks ago
You were so quiet; so weak my dear
You were suffering; in so much pain
It hurt me so much to see you thus
I felt saddened; bereft
Though you haven't really left
I guess you've already given up
Surrendered to your despair
I know you miss mum my dear...
Remembering you in your youth
I much prefer; to tell the truth
For in those days you were strong
Has it really been that long?
Ah dad I miss those long ago days
But time must go forward
We cannot turn back
Please; love your parents well
You never know when it will end
Make the most of each and every day
Make your precious memories,
Enjoy the time you have
Be thankful for everything!
God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment