Wednesday 13 August 2014

Operations

My brother had his second op
Just yesterday on his cataracts
Santiago is due tomorrow
To have his tonsils out
They're taking his adenoids
Putting grommets in his ears
So much happening around here!
My mum lost her right eye a few years ago
Just goes to show you it goes on
Whether you are ready or not
I had my tonsils out in 1962
I was just 5 years old: a little kid
I got to eat ice cream and jelly
It was pretty good for me!
Kept me in for a few days then
Now they take you in and spit you out
Within a day and a night
You have to go home again
Because it all costs too much
So now it's like a production line
You wait your turn and off you go
Home to be cared for by your family
No loneliness left in a huge ward
Family around unlike way back then
Now you are just a number
On that operating list
They line you with dark marker
To make sure they get it right
Heaven forbid they do stuff up
That just wouldn't be right!



No comments:

Post a Comment