Wednesday 6 August 2014

The pink dress

When my girls were little
I made them pretty dresses
I scoured the local op shops
To find brides maid dresses
I'd cut them down to size
Sew them up for my little girls
So they could be my princesses
I bought a pretty pink dress one day
I was going to chop it up and resew it
When our neighbours came around
Joy took care of Margaret, Daniel and Amanda
They played with my two girls after school
Amanda fell in love with the pink dress
So I gave it to her to take home!

Many years later Joy told me a story
About dear Amanda and that dress
Though it didn't fit her: though it was too small
She loved that pretty pink dress so much 
She often looked at it hanging there
Imagining, dreaming about how it would look
If she were a real princess: if she only could
Wear it and feel just like a real princess
That's what was going on in her head
Yes she could dream a better life
Than what those poor children had!

No comments:

Post a Comment