Monday 5 December 2016

A handful of cherries

Each day he picks the best
A handful of cherries: no test
For the only love he's ever had
Yes; this he does; my dear old dad
Poor mum is ill; we know not when
Her time will come; her mortal end
Could happen any time at all; we know
This love is special: makes my heart glow
Dad says they met when she was just thirteen
Way back in 1951; I asked; "was she your first?"
He said to me "my first and last!"
They've been married over 60 long years
Upon his arm the tattoo "Roza" declares
To be his one and only love: heavens above
What a blessing to have had such love...
There's an arrow through that tattooed heart
Oh Lord, if only they didn't have to part...
But life goes on no matter what
We need to appreciate every moment we've got

A handful of cherries he picks each day
There upon the table at her place; them he lays
They sit and wait till she comes: I pray
In heaven they might again be together one day

No comments:

Post a Comment