Wednesday 24 October 2012

Rupert the smart mouse

Rupert was a cute little creamy brown mouse
Michael had to have him for his pet!
He was such a cute little critter and 
He was always happy to have a chat
We made a home for him in an old fish tank
He could see us coming and going
He loved to watch us passing by!
Michael and I made him a home
Out of an old blue rubber ball
We cut out both sides for his windows
We placed his home onto an old wooden curtain ring
Sawdust or kitty-litter on the bottom of the cage
Here he lived for nearly two years!

To make it interesting
We created mazes out of tissue boxes and
Toilet rolls; stuck together with sticky tape!
Every few weeks we changed his home around
So he wouldn't get bored or lonely
He would climb all over the new tunnels
To check it all out and have a good look!
He loved to climb all over me and chatter away
In his little mouse language!

The only time he got really upset with me
Was when I cleaned out his whole home; ball and all!
He was so upset; telling me off as he had to refurnish
His whole bedroom; ripping up tissues as he went on
Chittering and chattering; telling me off!
I never touched his bedroom again!
We moved his home around the place as
It did get rather smelly (even with the kitty-litter)
And as you could guess; it was me who did the cleaning!

One night as Shelley was going to bed
He jumped up onto his tissue box and started chatting
Like he was lonely and wanted attention!
He stood up on his hind legs; like he was begging!
Shelley brought him in and told me of his plight
So I played with him for a while that night!
He let me handle him; no worries!
He loved to eat walnuts and almonds
The occasional pieces of carrot
And sometimes fruit and birdseed too!
He had a pretty good diet!

One day the door was left open
Kairi the cat got inside the house
She was out to eat him
As they played Cat and Mouse!
Kairi knocked off the protective screen
She was in that cage; after his life!
Rupert was saved by those tunnels
As he ran and dodged for his life!
He lived to tell the tale; thank God!

He lived and played and went with us to camp
Up in Macclesfield; quite happy in his transportable cage!

All was well until Shelley gave him a piece
Of Tim Tam biscuit; as a treat!
He started scratching all over
Losing his fur and going all red
He scratched so much he hurt his eye
It was awful to see him thus!
He lost his sight in one eye and was so sick!
Than damned chocolate biscuit!
Took his life! Though I prayed and prayed!
For the dear Lord to heal him
In the end; I could see that nothing could mend him
So I begged the Lord to let my little pet go!
Though I cried and cried; it hurt me so!

One day he got out of his cage
Don't ask me how, because I don't know!
How come he never escaped before this time?

I found him lying on the floor
He was wet and slobbered on
Like some one had grabbed him and then let him go

We had two little dogs called Amy and Kia
Neither of them would confess to the crime
I am not lying!

I was just relieved that my little Rupert
Was no longer in pain!







No comments:

Post a Comment