Monday 9 June 2014

Kaiser and the postman

We lived in Jenkins Avenue in 1978
Kaiser was our precious loving pet
He was our darling boy: our best mate
He grew up in that back yard: ran wild
Beside the little swimming pool
He loved that green grass too
He loved us and we loved him: our first child!
One day we got a letter from the postie
He was very upset to say the least
Said he would no longer deliver our mail
If we could not contain our beast
Kaiser was so happy and never was bad
He was the best thing we ever had
Wouldn't hurt a fly: not our precious boy
But we weren't home that day
When he escaped the yard: scared that postie
Must have given that poor man
Such a terrible fright: out if sight!
Though to us he was loving and sweet
I guess we never saw him on his own
Never watched him wandering down the street
Or doing his job: keeping a look out!
Many years later Auntie Debbie got a fright
I'd left something in our car that night
She said she'd get it: Kaiser was a pet
Didn't think he'd growl at her: better yet
She thought to open up that car door
Grab my bag and return inside but
Kaiser was on guard duty: it was his pride
At stake: his duty to keep our car safe
No one would get into that car
Not on his watch! My sweet pet!
Another time I did get to watch him at play
We'd gone for a walk across the road
That was at Burton Road in Athelstone
There was a little creek we walked along
He loved those little adventures we took him on
Just as we were going back: a man came: walking
Down our very street: Kaiser went to meet him
Just walked up to him: ready to greet
I saw that poor guy hesitate: getting ready to flee
Kaiser went quickly up to that guy
As if he would grab him: saw his face
As he turned round: saw his cheeky grin
As if he was saying: " I got him mum!
Did you see what I did to him?"
That cheeky look upon his face
Was such a wonderful sight
Happiness in his eyes as he returned to me
Showing me his pleasure in his life
Oh dear Lord: how much I do miss him!

No comments:

Post a Comment