Sunday 8 June 2014

Tour of Barmera

We took a tour of Barmera
Me and my beautiful girl
Showed her all the things I'd seen
When I was just a little girl
I drove down the Main Street
Barwell Avenue it is still called
I was happy to drive those streets
To show her all of my little world
Just as it was back then: so long ago
We took a tour of my past: my youth
Drove past the caravan park: real slow
Oh the times I had when I was young
Swimming at Lake Bonney was a joy
With all my childhood friends no less
I still remember my driving lessons: boy
I loved to drive around those streets: I guess
I always have, like right now: the netball courts
The footy oval where dad would play
With Martha's dad and uncle Tony: in shorts
The fun times we all had watching them: yay
Soccer was their relaxation and sport
We kids would run around and play!
Campbell's Bluebird Cafe was next then
The shacks further up where we'd meet
Our friends as we relaxed when
Work was done and we could retreat
The beer garden out back of the Barmera hotel
It's gone but not forgotten: those happy times
Still linger in my memories: the new motel
That covers the gardens where I used to climb
The fish pond where we took our photos
Is just a distant memory: brought back to life
Meals we ate there: all the Magyar families
Gathering together on those Saturday nights
The jetty in the lake that used to seem so huge
Now only a tiny part is left: most is gone
Damaged by the floods: after the deluge
Yes it was such a precious time we shared
My beautiful girl and I: what a blessing
To be able to drive around and reminisce
Over the past that we shared today!

No comments:

Post a Comment