Wednesday 18 June 2014

Reminiscing

Sitting here with my family
Around the dining table
Flipping through the photographs
Of times so long ago
These memories do linger
Bringing me near to tears
Looking back and reminiscing
Oh how wonderful those memories
Of childhood passed so long ago
The years just disappear
I've gone back over 50 years
Those that I can remember anyway
We talked of times before my birth
When dad was just a child
Taking me back to Hungary
To that distant past before mine
The escape across the border into Austria
Their journey across the seas
Landing here in Australia on the Aurelia
The jobs he took labouring in NSW
And also in Victoria near Mildura
We haven't talked like this ever I guess
Sometimes it takes a while to surrender
To the past: recall it all: stressful
As it must have been to them all
It made me think of this:
How many times can we actually relate?
How times do we really sit and talk
About those times that have gone?
Really listening: reminiscing!

No comments:

Post a Comment