Sunday 19 July 2015

Stupid stupid man

The stupid stupid man
Who will not listen or plan
The one who refuses to give in
Refuses to admit that he is ill
My father did this way back 
In 1993, lay there in his misery
Would not admit he needed to go
To the doctor, or hospital: I know
For 3 days he lay in agony...
Ignored wise counsel: I tell thee
One day I watched amazed
As he got dressed backwards...
Ah the pain it was for me...
To see him put on his underpants
On top of his jeans: yes siree...
The doctor said you must go
To the hospital in Adelaide
Three hours away...no delay
So we drove him there...
The whole family was scared
As the CT scan revealed the scene
A brain aneurysm was what showed
How narrow the escape route would be
Straight to the RAH to operate they said
The very next day they operated on his head
They sealed the vein that was leaking
Repaired what damage they could...
But it was too late to save his sight...
The optic nerve was damaged...
Nothing would ever repair that slight...
So though he suffered to his cost
That vision was forever lost...
Six months it took to recuperate
Finally he was released at last
I picked him up from that hostel
Took him home to our family
He said angrily to me...
"What have I got to live for anyway?
I would rather had died and gone away!"


No comments:

Post a Comment