Tuesday 22 December 2015

A few simple words

This is the time of year when everyone is rushing around to get everything done in time to celebrate with their families and loved ones...it is also a time of sadness for many: those who have no family to celebrate with...those who have no money to buy food with, let alone Christmas presents...
How many of us actually give a thought to the elderly in nursing homes? Ever thought of "adopting a grandy" and visiting them with your children...especially at this time of year...
How many actually give a thought to the people who have to work during this time...the ambulance people who are on call ready to rush people to hospital...the doctors and nurses who are on call...just in case they are needed to operate, to care for the injured...The police and fire and emergency crews who are on call to rescue those in need...
How many of us actually say" thank you" to any of these tireless, thankless workers...
Quite a few years ago I was in hospital with an infected gall bladder...I was in so much pain...never could I imagine how painful this could be! The nurses were constantly changing my beeping drip, adding the powerful antibiotics, changing my sweat saturated sheets, there to ease my discomfort...all night long...everyone in the ward must have been sick of the beeping around my bed...I am so sorry that the other patients probably got little sleep as well...I remember one poor nurse who was called backwards and forwards between our beds...constantly!
I heard the other patients and their visitors grumbling about the delays and I thought to change things by uttering a few simple words..."Thank you for everything you have been doing for me all day and night" I said. The look upon that poor woman's face!
I don't think anyone had said those few simple words to her in many a long month...She almost started crying...she was obviously shocked and moved by such a kind thought...by my words...by my gratitude...After this she renewed her efforts to do all she could to make everyone as comfortable as possible...she flew around with more energy, with more vitality...with more purpose...she offered to be the one to remove my drip for me, she offered to bring me more water, what ever I needed...she was happy to do for me, for the other patients too...
Many months later I met up with her...away from her work...she told me off her depression, her exhaustion, her feelings of working in a thankless job where everyone always complained...
She told me how those few simple words had lifted her spirits and had given her the boost she needed to carry on doing the job that she once had loved to do...
Please give thanks to those who do these wonderful jobs for us all without ever getting many thanks...think about it...how a few simple words can change someone's day, week, month, year, life...say them and mean it...be grateful and mean it...really mean it! God bless you all and may you all have a safe and blessed time with all your precious families...

No comments:

Post a Comment