Saturday 5 December 2015

A glimpse of heaven

Over the years I watched my father
Welcome many guests into our home
He offered them a place at our table
Offered them of our hospitality...
My mother would cook for us all
I know she would have appreciated
If he would only ask her first
But she cooked for everyone
Never said a word
Just got on with the job at hand...

Now my parents are old and ill
Still she cooks one meal a day...
Thank you for all the meals mum
Thank you dad, for showing me your heart...

I remember one Christmas day
We were sitting down to our meal
A young man came to our door
My family grumbled that he 
Should intrude on our family meal

I regret that I listened to them
I regret that I turned him away
I regret that I didn't offer him a seat
For there was more than enough
Yes, more than enough to spare
That day is long past; many years ago
I know he was alone and saddened
His life was going off the track...
Forgive me Lord for my lack of love
Forgive me Lord for giving in
Forgive me Lord for not offering him 
A seat at our table: a glimpse of...
What to him would have been like heaven!
To join in with our family that day

Please remember to invite your guests
With this thought in mind
Tomorrow will be too late...
Just think: angels come to us
In their disguises
As poor, weak, infirm, ill strangers
Will you make the same mistake?
I regret mine: you still have a chance...

"When you make a dinner or a supper
Call not your friends, nor your brethren
Neither your kinsmen, 
Nor your rich neighbours...
Lest they also invite you again
And recompense be made...
But when you make a feast
Call the poor, the maimed
The lame, the blind...
And you shall be blessed
For they cannot repay you
You shall be recompensed
At the resurrection of the just"
Luke 14:12 - 14
These are the guests whom it will
Lay on you no great burden to receive
You will not need to provide for them
Elaborate or expensive entertainment
You will need to make no effort at display
The warmth of a genial welcome...
A place at your fireside...
A seat at your home table...
The privilege of sharing the blessing 
Of the hour of prayer
Would be to many of these
Like a glimpse of heaven...


No comments:

Post a Comment