Monday 11 July 2016

Biopsy

The sonographer welcomed us
Sit here; out of the doctor's way
I sat quietly; watching; without a fuss
My poor mum; upon the bed she lay
Last fortnight: she had a PET scan
Radioactive dye injected; 3 hours long 
Today: biopsy; more pain
Thank God for local anaesthetic
Thank God for milestones medicine has made
The doctor came and started
He got the needle: prepared
I watched mesmerised: thinking; in my head
He poked that long needle: over and over
Into that debris filled black hole
Crazy thoughts running my mind
"What am I seeing? What does this mean?"
He mentioned the PET scan results
Had witnessed many growths: everywhere
Now he was concerned
Speaking out loud: his thoughts
Asking for a Cytologist to be called
She came with her assistant 
Little box of slides in hand
Microscope: wheeled in upon a tray
I watched it all unfold
Listening; catching all they had to say
"We need a core biopsy: this is not enough"
Ah poor mum; more poking and prodding
More needles: syringed fluids
More samples; peered at; upon the tray
Making sure there was enough
Don't want to have to be recalled


No comments:

Post a Comment