Monday 25 July 2016

Unravelling

Started this blanket 
About 30 odd years ago...
Wanted it to be perfect 
Only used the exact same wool
Same brand names; Same dye lots
Until I couldn't get them anymore
It waited patiently for completion
Sitting in a cupboard or box
Was used a couple of times
Incomplete; unfinished; sadly
I got sick of waiting for wool
Bought different colours
Different dye lots; different shades
Thought it would look unique
Unusual; liked the contrasts
Thought it looked kinda cool
Found a few holes in it today
Thought it would be okay
But now as I look at it
I realise; it doesn't matter
About dye lots; colours
Shades and stuff; its not important
Today I decided to unravel it all
Start afresh; redo the whole thing
I guess it's a bit like my life
I worked on my marriage
For over 35 years
Raised my family
Did the best I could
Now I have beautiful grandkids
Now my parents are getting old
Now; like my life; I'm unravelling
I am no longer the same as I was
I have a few holes in me
A few bits are unravelling
A few bits don't look the same
But like this blanket
I am still useful
However I look on the outside
Inside beats a loving heart
Inside is a precious soul
I am loved; appreciated
I am still useful; full of love
Full of warmth; full of life
Like this blanket; I am being renewed
My life might have unravelled
But I still have a chance
To be useful; productive
So...in unravelling my old blanket
I am giving it a new life
I am going to redo the whole thing
Rework it; change it; renew it
It will be just as beautiful
Maybe even more so
I'll use different patterns
But it will be a useful piece
Keeping me warm and snug
As I work upon it; keeping me busy
Keeping my hands busy
Allowing my heart to beat peacefully
While I contemplate my life
Take note of how it is changing
Taking time to appreciate
These days that are left to me
These days that are left
To spend time with my mum
To make the most of our time
Before He comes to take her home...

No comments:

Post a Comment