Sunday 24 July 2016

Paint me a portrait

"Paint me a portrait" 
The rich man said
Of Jesus our saviour
How He is in your head
Show me the beauty
Of His great love
Paint me a portrait of Jesus
Who came from above

The portrait was painted
Such beauty divine
Jesus knocking at the door
Of our hearts; he contrived
Stately and loving 
There was no disguise
For there he was standing 
Asking entrance within

The rich man was troubled
Wanted to escape his deal
Sought to find a way out
Of his proffered fee; still
When the portrait was presented
He looked; for any ill spot; carefully
That would allow him negate
Any prior responsibility 

He peered at the portrait
Intense was his gaze
Seeking to find any little fault
That could be used to declare
"This portrait is insufficient
I find no goodness in here"
Finally he found the answer
Finally he spoke out with ire

"Your portrait is unfinished
There is something wrong here
Though Jesus is standing
Knocking; entrance to gain
You have omitted one facet
No door handle is plain"
He stood back and waited 
He was pleased to say the least

Until the painter; answered; quietly
"I did as you asked of me
I painted dear Jesus above
Seeking to gain entry; to show His great love
But see you; this doorway; into our heart
There is no handle outside
We must open it from within
Allow Him to gain entry therein







1 comment:

  1. The only way for Jesus to gain entry is from within...there is no other way to get in

    ReplyDelete