Tuesday 19 January 2016

Implicit trust

A precious little child lies upon my breast
She lays her weary little body down
Her breathing slows then she is at rest
She is completely settled here I know
I feel the heaviness that tells me true
She trusts me to hold her close you know
I see her long eyelashes fluttering anon
She is dreaming of something happy: fun
Then she wakes just as suddenly as she slept
Saying Tata was being mean again
Her little fingers point toward the open door
As if she can see him walking there: as before
Nobody is there I know: she is not really awake
Her gesturing hands tell another tale
Of dreaming and of imagined slights
Then she sighs and lies back down again
As if nothing came to disturb her test
I cover her with a pillow case as it is near
Keeping her precious warmth close dear
Then suddenly mummy is here and she arises
Ready to forgo my warmth: a fair exchange
Cuddles into mummy's precious arms
Still peaceful enough to rest some more

So it is that in our Lord we must trust
As little children we must come unto Him
Give up our struggles...Nestle into his arms
Allow his peace to enter in to our hearts
His strength is enough to soothe our minds
Knowing it is our welfare that he has at heart
Ah the serenity the abounds in trusting souls
Who come before their Lord with open hearts

1 comment: