Monday 18 January 2016

Reedy Creek was flooded

On the 7th of December 2010
We had to go to town
Appointments to go to
Lots of travelling to get through
Michael's appointment at 11 am
Many errands to run as well
We had to get it all done...
We visited Shelley at her place
Spent the whole afternoon
Then as we were about to leave
She said as she turned around
"Please stay the night with me
I am feeling so very lonely"
So we decided to remain in Adelaide
We got the couch organised
Pillows, blankets and all
Settled down to stay the night 
It was raining heavily: out of sight
We drove home to Sedan
On Wednesday 8th December
We were so totally amazed
At the sights that met our eyes
Roadblocks everywhere
Telling us of the detours
No through road due to flooding 
No way to get back home that way
We had to go across the bridge
Over the River Murray at Murray Bridge
Followed the road to Mannum
On the other side: took it in our stride
Caught the ferry over the fast flowing river
So much water everywhere
We saw sandbags in shop doorways
Mud and mess everywhere at 3 pm
Mannum was such a terrible mess
Amber lights flashing out their warning 
Reedy creek was flooded
The whole road had been washed out
The bridge was completely gone
Covered in tons of mud and reeds
Huge front end loaders working 
Clearing up absolutely everything 
More sadness was to come as we continued on
Uprooted trees, houses full of water
Red sand washed away and brought along
What a mess we found even further on
Mud on the roadways
So much work to clear it up
Destruction from the deluge
Everywhere we looked...
Closer to our home it was worse
Huge tree trunks across the road
Our road was such a mess
Oh I cried out as we drove up
I was so upset and cried again
Opened the door to see the mud
Our carpets were no longer cream
Brown and dirty was what I saw
As I squelched on in...
Utterly distraught I wandered through
My hands flew to my mouth
In fear and trembling I looked around
Wondering at our poor little dogs
Poor Amy and Kia: I thought 
What had happened to my girls?
Thought I could see one body there
But thank God it was only a log
Found the muddy footprints on the chairs
Amy and Kia had sought to climb
Up onto those solid wooden chairs
As the water rose up and up all that time
I thanked the Lord that they were safe
My poor little girls were okay
Amy has epilepsy: terrible fits she has
I had thought she could drown
If she was scared enough and fell
Into those spasms that claimed her
Whenever she succumbed...







No comments:

Post a Comment