Thursday 7 January 2016

Smoke signals

Smoke rising up into the ashen skies
Bush fire afternoon: have no desire
To see the damage already done
Ah the terror as it spreads far and wide
No stopping disaster: no happy ever after
Too late by far: it started in the grass
Now the trees are swaying: day is greying
Watching those smoke signals rising up
Wind picks up its awful pace: can't face
These thoughts racing through my head
What if it claims a life or maybe more
Too many times man forgets the score
Fire wins: man loses: earth cries out in pain
Firemen in their trucks fighting for their lives
Saving all they can: that's their only plan
Drove past Mosquito Hill on my way down
Now the news tells me it's near that town
Praying that the wind will hold its pace
Though I hear the news I feel my heart race
Been through all this once before you know
Just a couple years ago: we had to flee
Escape to safety: across the River Murray
We left our home in quite a hurry
Taken across that river on that ferry



No comments:

Post a Comment