Tuesday 8 January 2013

Too much water under the bridge

My mum and auntie never got on
Auntie was too bossy; too out-spoken
Always said her piece
My dad was stuck between them
She was his older sister
I suppose she thought she had the right
But her words were resented
Looked down upon; rejected out of sight!
Mum was “Never good enough”
Felt “looked down upon!”
“Not up to the grade”
Couldn’t take those lectures
Didn’t like the interference
She needed a place of her own!
She didn’t want to be beholden
Didn’t want to be treated like a slave
Used for work; not appreciated
No matter she did!
So from under that thumb they slid!
We had our own little place
Dad built our little home
With the toil of their hands
With the sweat of their brows
We lived on our own land!
Mum and dad worked so hard
Picking fruit at Harrington’s
Gil and Laura were so wonderful
Helped out my mum and dad
I used to work there too!
Cutting those sweet ripe apricots
Mr Harrington taught me how!
My childhood days went so fast
At their property in Kingston-on-Murray!
I saw my auntie in Barmera
At the big market there
She seemed so small and shrunken
So different from my memories
I guess it’s been over 30 years!
I’ve grown a bit, she’s shrunk a bit but
I recognised her face
I said to mum “look its auntie!”
Thinking she might stop and chat
But I was wrong; she walked on by
Just like auntie used to do
All those years ago!
I stopped and had a little chat
To my old auntie
She said a few things that
Sounded like the things she’d said
All those years ago!
“Your mum and dad smoked too much!
Wasted their money
 If only they’d listened then!
They’d be better off now!”
I thought a bit and realised
Mum would not be the first
To say something to old auntie
They were both still hurting
Both still lost in that long ago time
Neither was forgiving
Neither would be first
To cross over that street
Too much water had passed
Underneath that bridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment