Tuesday 27 May 2014

Despised and downtrodden

Despised; looked down upon
Left behind: given up on
How does it feel when loved ones?
Give up on you: have had enough
Are sick of trying to get through
You will not listen to their pleas
Will they abandon you with ease?
Leave you crying on your knees?
Kick you when you’re down and out
Already weakened: diseased: spent
How many times must I beg you to “please”?
How many times must I return to grease?
Those cogs and wheels that jam
That stubborn thinking brain of yours
Left wallowing within that stuffed up head
Too many bitter memories: left for dead
I tried for so many years to help you 37 in fact
Begged, pleaded, cajoled, wheedled
Yelled, screamed, prayed unheeded
Now I need some support from you
My mum’s leukaemia has me in a spin
I know we all have to die one day
But I’d rather it be “later”: not today!
I am feeling anxious: my heart’s pounding
Driving up to the Riverland to see her
Will I see a weakening: a difference?
Something obviously giving way to
That illness that will not just go away
I’m crying all the time: when will it be “Me time”?


Look at it from my point of view
What more could any mortal do?

Now turn it all around again
See it from another’s point of view

Stop talking at me: I am depressed
Leave me alone: I am non-plussed
These painful thoughts within my head
Are all that matter: all that I can feel
I am no Achilles with just a weakened heel
I am a lost boy: to Neverland, I need to fly
I cannot go on and do it all
I am still hurting from my early life
You are my mother as well as wife
It all seems too difficult to bear
Feed me: wash a shirt for me to wear
Make my coffee: do everything
Cook my meals, wash up my dishes
It’s all too hard for me I swear
I don’t care about my clothes
Covered in ash: I stink, I suppose
I’ve become a burden even to myself
Just leave me here: rotting in my filth
Don’t want to have a bath
Don’t lead me up the garden path
Just let me sit and think here alone
I am perfect: no need for me to atone

Now look at another’s life I know
It seems so difficult to follow

I beg you to stop smoking those
Stinking cigarettes: cancer might get you yet
I worry about these things: they get me down
You do not care about how I feel
Though I beg and plead; grow angry at your needs
I worry that you will leave me; die of cancer
Leave our children without their mum
What a lazy thing you have become
You cannot even keep our house clean
Why do I have to do everything?
I have to look after the kids at night
I have to feed them: play with them
Clean up their constant mess
I am so overcome with stress
This dystonia is crippling me
When oh when will you ever see?
I need you to help me: stroke my head
I feel like I will die one day instead
Leave you alone to cope: what then
Will you be happy when I’m gone?

Look again from another’s point of view
Does it sound familiar to you?

I am struggling to do everything
I am supposed to be a super-woman
You never give me any credit for anything
I will always be younger than you
No matter what I do it’s never good enough
You say to others how proud your are of me
But to my face you have no words: intimidate
Look down your nose: you ingrate!
Can you not ever: just once find something good?
Find a positive: one thing I might do right?
You call me names; you put me down
You think I cannot do anything right
Well I’m sick of being told that I’m useless
I’m sick and tired of feeling stressed
I wait for you to come on home
Ready for you to start again: laying blame
I find I need that cigarette to ease my stress
I cannot relax because you always attack
I can never seem to talk: answer you back
You never listen to my words: looked down upon
I am always spurned: your words burn!
I run away to escape your angry face
But there is never anywhere to hide
I feel cornered so I fight and scream
What ever happened to our lifelong dream?
Living happily ever after so in love

My dad is dead just 2 months ago
Our baby is barely 8 months old
I breast feed: give her everything I’ve got
I’m up all night taking care of her
You are no bloody help at all
You begrudgingly help a tiny bit
Acting like it is all: “your job”: “can’t you cope with it?”
You are so up yourself: so ego filled
Like everything should be done for you
You are such a “macho man”
Primping, preening gallivanting around
I look at you: you are “all show”
Doing as little as you can
Looking down your “stuck up” nose at me
When will you ever see?
I’m doing the very best I can
Can’t you see I need some support from you?
What is it that you even do?
I ask you to rub my aching neck
You say every time: “later: I’ll do it then!”
Well that never happens if you care to look around
It’s always me that helps your poor aching head
When will it be “Me time” instead?
It’s just not fair: I’m feeling depressed
Every day there’s more and more stress
I’m on edge: expecting more anger from you
Its what I’m getting used to: but I’m not happy
How do I get through to you: you will not listen to me!
All you ever do is put me down: again and again
I’m falling into this deep dark pit
No light coming into it: becoming darker every day
Help me I’m drowning in all this unfair shit!



No comments:

Post a Comment