Saturday 3 May 2014

Singing along to the Carpenters

Driving up to Sedan a couple of weeks ago
Listening to Carpenters songs on the stereo
Suddenly those held-in tears began to flow
Sadness crept up behind me I'll let you know
Memories of days gone by in my turbulent life
Thoughts, feelings hidden underneath the strife
all came gushing out: tears pouring from my eyes
Didn't even know they were waiting: didn't realise
Thought I had every feeling under firm control
I guess that just goes to show how things unravel
Suddenly a memory takes hold and tears do flow
Anger, pain, heartbreak explodes, rules the show
How we used to sing along to Richard and Karen
All those beautiful songs from "Now and then"
His piano playing to her beautiful voice: those melodies
Loved all those old songs: they bring back happy memories
It just hit me that we would never listen together again
Never enjoy those voices raised in beauty: in unison
I miss you honey: can't seem to get over your loss
I miss those times when our hearts were so close
They say that it will take time but it doesn't seem right
That you are gone from me: no longer within my sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment