Tuesday 23 June 2015

60 years ago

60 years ago your mother gave you birth
Never did she think as she left this earth
That you would follow so quickly to your end
Had she known? Would it have mattered?
Could she have done anything to change?
Your destiny; your life so full of pain...
Tomorrow is your birthday...too late to say
"I love you, happy birthday, have a great day!"
You chose your path many years ago...
I guess many would say: it was chosen for you
Who knew that losing your dad could be?
Such a terrible catastrophe...at age six
He left you and went upon his way...
A brain aneurysm stole your father that day
He was only 46 years of age...way too young
To die and leave his family to their grief
Too young to feel so burdened by P.T.S.D.!
The years of war destroyed his peace
Never afterwards could he ever be...
The man he was; before conflict stole his days
Nightmares stole his nights away...
Alcohol was the only buffer to keep at bay
Those ghosts of mates: he watched them die
Threw their bodies overboard: into the hungry sea
One by one they left him there: in that boat
Distressed and comfort-less: who could ever see?
The damage done to his mind upon the raging seas
You told me of a few good memories
The sugared toast he made you for breakfast
The ride upon the bicycle with your precious dad
Such a shame there weren't more from your past
Too few the happy memories to be had...
It took a while for you to tell me of your early life
How could I ever imagine such a sad start?
I was lucky I guess: still have both my parents
There was never such pain and stress: I must confess
As I look back upon our long married life...
I see so much sadness: so much strife...
But amongst the bad was plenty of good too
These memories I will remember it's true
I'll leave the sadness there amid the darkness
Rather choose to see the good: regardless
Our children grown to adulthood: you'd be proud
Our grandchildren growing sturdy in the crowd
If you could only see the good things that bestow
The peace of happiness upon me: if you could know?
Anything of life that goes on without you here...
But I know you cannot understand me dear
You are asleep now until we hear that trump
You will awaken and be judged just like the rest
I truly wish you the very best: but be at rest
That time though drawing near...
Is not as yet here: never fear: God is just
He it is who judges us all: not man...
We are all caught up in His magnificent plan...








No comments:

Post a Comment