Wednesday 15 October 2014

The dark side of your moon (A letter)

I need to know about
The dark side of your moon
I need to know how you react
When you’re feeling all alone
What do you need to stay sane?
How do you let off steam?
You’ve obviously seen many things
That would drive a man to drink
Please let me in: show me how you think?
Please tell me: what you do to cope?
Share with me: allow me to live in hope!
I understand…
No! I probably have no idea
What it is like to live in fear?
What it is like to live with the stress?
That comes with such a job
The pressure that climbs up
Constantly under duress
How do you keep your cool?
How do you not lose your head?
How do you cope with losing?
Your mates: on a daily or weekly basis?

My father-in-law was the last to survive
Three ships were sunk under him
He had to toss his mates overboard
As they died: as they succumbed
What terrible things to do and see
Such baggage to bring home with him
He drank to drown his sorrows
Drank to escape those nightmares!

My husband too was saddened
By the things that happened to him
Losing his dad: put into a boy’s home
Beaten and abused: what a start?
No wonder he was broken!
Had no heart left to live his life: so much strife!
He was always searching for something
That elusive thing that would help
Make him feel better: anything I suppose
To keep those demons at bay!
So he smoked those cigarettes
From the age of 13 he took them up
Later he found marijuana: smoked that too!
After we married he’d drink a few beers
He wasn’t a very nice drunk
Later still he needed more to hide behind
Stronger things than just the Panadol
Tried to kill himself at the age of 13 years
He was always at the doctors getting his fix
Morphine for those constant headaches
Anything to dull the terrible aches inside
Harder drugs were to come as he went on
Nothing seemed to be enough to stem the tide
He always needed that something to hide behind
Harder drugs became his crutch: it was so sad
He just couldn’t see that what he sought
Was lying there: right inside: within his heart
But by then it was just too late
By then he just didn’t care
Everything was just too hard to change!










No comments:

Post a Comment