Tuesday 20 December 2011

Across the seas

Across the seas so far away: from all family and friends
How could I ever understand my former country's strife?
How do you explain that life became a chore?
Because another country dictated laws!
The price of goods, the state of things: everything overthrown!
Wouldn't you escape such a fate and toss your life upon the winds
See where providence brought you?
If only you had the chance to choose?
Well this is what my parents did: this is how it went!
When life became unbearable: they chose to leave their land
Everything they knew before was left behind as planned
They walked across the border and offered up their lives
Took refuge in a foreign place and sailed across the seas
To find their life renewed upon a distant shore
Thank you Lord for keeping safe: my little family's lives
Though I realized not a thing: so tiny, not even born was I
Kept safe inside her womb: my mother carried me across 
And on this distant shore: her travail came upon her when
In that refugee camp: she brought me safe into this world
At Albury in New South Wales: so I was an Aussie born
A new life for me was written and so I call this country home
No longer lost or alone am I for I have this marvellous country
And here I live my life!





No comments:

Post a Comment