Friday 16 December 2011

Beauty can't buy you love

Your face is in the mail: you left it here
You forgot all about it as you packed your gear
I know you don't want to hear this
But I don't really think you need it!
But you can't leave home without it!
I'm telling you! You're beautiful!
But you just won't believe me anyway
You just think I'm saying it because I'm your mum
But really it's a fact: you don't really need your make up love!
You look in the mirror: you don't like what you see
In that way you're just like me: when I was so much younger
I didn't like me either so I just looked away
Couldn't face a mirror without a frown: hated my nose, my jutting ears
Couldn't see a redeeming thing in there
So you're just like your mother: you're just like any other teen plus some
It's all the same nowadays: everyone has to be perfect
Nobody feels they're worth it because they don't look like models
Those skinny little clothes racks: way too thin and waif-like
Way too much make-up on their faces there
Without any social graces: everyone needs to see that
They are just the same as you and me on the inside
Make-up can't buy you love!: it's what's on the inside
Anyone who knows you will see the truth
It's your kind heart that makes you who you are!

1 comment:

  1. It never changes! It was the same 30 years ago and it will be the same 30 years from now! We all see our own shortcomings and want to hide inside ourselves!

    ReplyDelete