Saturday 17 December 2011

My son

My son, I see your struggles
I understand what's in your heart
I feel the pain within you
As you try to be so strong
But all the hurtful words and looks
Are cutting you to the quick
You are not an idiot
You are not a dope
It's just so hard to climb up out of that pit.
I've been there before you
I know how hard it is
I know what it feels like to be misunderstood
Nobody wants to listen
Nobody wants to hear
Your mind is screaming out
But nobody seems to hear
Nobody can feel your terror
Nobody can hear your cries
Because though they're real
They are left unsaid
But all these things are running
Around and around in your head!
I see you struggling to hold your own
As the others poke and prod
And try to goad.
They think they know
What's on your mind!
I'm sorry I'm not stronger
I'm sorry I'm so weak!
My body is letting us all down
And I just need more sleep!
I can't be everything that you need
I can't fight with you or carry you
To the car if I need
I'm sorry I'm not strong enough
To push you to your limits
I'm sorry That your dad is not more committed
He's doing the best he can
Though I know it's not enough
You know of all the stuff he's carrying.
I can't be a bully! It's not the way I am!
I know that you lie to me
To get out of what you can
I know that I'm not strong enough 
To act like a man
It's your turn to grow up now
It's your turn to be the man!
If you don't want to be like your dad
Then it's in your hands!
He worked so hard when he was just a lad!
At 14 he was working
As hard as a grown man
He did his best when he was young 
He did his best to work hard and carry on
So, please don't judge him for not being stronger now!







No comments:

Post a Comment