Sunday 25 December 2011

From the heart

Ever since I was little, I've been shy and scared
But when it was needed I could be prepared
My cousins were made to feel scared of the dark
So I offered my hand to guide them in the night
My uncle depended on keeping them scared
So to answer him back they never dared
He was always trying to scare my brother and me
By telling us all about that old smacking machine
He had down the hall or somewhere in that hell
Fear was his method of keeping them in line!
I remember we were there on that vineyard
In an old shed behind the cars.
I still recall heating our beanies up on the old wood stove
But I left mine too long and smoke began to curl.
Peas in the pod as well we heated
And when they were cooked they were the sweetest.
My mum resented being there to be like servants
So she convinced dad to set out on their own
And an old almond tree on our new property
Became my refuge from all of my fears
It was there that I was happiest over the years
My almond tree became for me my sanctuary
My place of memories and of tears
Up in that almond tree I spent so many days
Shaded by the branches and green leaves
It was there that I was whoever I chose
It didn't really matter whether it was hot or cold
That was my place; my abode!
For my almond tree was everything to me
I climbed like a monkey up and down
I even pretended that when I was grown
I'd build a house up there and live like a ...
Whatever I would grow up to be.
It didn't matter then because my fantasy life was the best
I never imagined that I'd need to move
From that wonderful tree that I'd grown to love!
Like a sea otter I would take up a couple of stones
And break those almonds into two
They tasted so delicious and were so good
To me and my family it was understood
That was my haven, my castle, my heaven on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment