Sunday 11 December 2011

My Almond Tree

When I was a little girl, I climbed up into my cubby house
My almond tree was my place: my refuge, my space!
There I spent many a happy hour: playing and having fun
Though I was alone I never needed anyone else
While I was there in my place! nI laughed and I played
I cooked and I sang: whoever I was: I was surrounded by grace!
There I was Rapunzel or maybe even Snow White
I never needed another: I was complete there in my place.
Thank you Lord for giving me imagination to claim that tree
As my own little world and place: to be by myself and enjoy your grace
To while away the lonely hours: to forget my troubles and be at peace.
I'd take a couple of rocks up into my almond tree
I'd pick the almonds green and eat them on my knee.
In October and early November: when the inner nuts were white
They were ready to be eaten: to be my pretend bounty
Like a sea otter in the waves: I'd crack them open for my food
To share with my pretend friends: I felt like Mowgli in the jungle
With Baloo the bear as well and Bagheera would climb with me: up there in my almond tree.


Today I took my grandson to another almond tree
He climbed right up and felt right at home
Just like me when I was two or three
In him I could see myself and his mother too
Another little tree climber: another little almond tree lover: just like me!
We gathered lots of almonds as the big white cockatoos looked on
He reached up as high as he could to gather them with me
We filled a big green shopping bag: we took them home to his mum
There we sat around a brick: with hammer and blissful glee
We cracked those sweet almonds open: we peeled off the skins too
Then we ate those sweet new almonds until we were filled to a tee
They were just as delicious: they were just as precious
As those memories of his dear mummy: when she was just three
When we'd go to grandpa's place and climb his almond tree
Though it was a different tree twenty years ago
From my precious one of all those years ago
We still made memories you know:  of his dear mummy and me
Today we made some new ones: to add to those from near and far reminiscence
Because there was a new little boy to join in these happy new times
Now added to those of his dear mummy and me!













No comments:

Post a Comment