Monday 17 September 2012

I shall not pass this way again

I am here today!
Who knows what tomorrow may bring?
What use to think of helping one
If I do nothing with that chance?
Now If I meet some stranger on the road
If I can help in any small way?
I will do it now!
For tomorrow I may not be here at all! 
Tomorrow I will not have that chance I had today!
Tomorrow will bring its own new problems and its joys!
But now is the time I have at hand
Now is the gift I have to use!
Now is the present! 
Now is the power!  
Now is the time to love!
Now is the time to pass it forward!
By tomorrow today will be a yesterday
It will be gone and the chance to help
Gone with it!
Too late!

I expect to pass through this world but once.
Any good thing therefore that I can do, 
Or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, 
Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again!
Stephen Grellet (1773-1855)

No comments:

Post a Comment