Monday 10 September 2012

Slippery Sam

Hot summer days we toiled away
Back in the 1960's; in those days
Apricot cutting was the order of the day
Dad picked the fruit at Harrington's
Mum helped cut the fruit upon those trays
When I was too little; I was allowed to play
Then as I grew; I had work to do as well!
First; it was just one huge tray
That was when it took me all day!
I got better and worked more quickly
Thinking I could run and play!
Soon I was required to work all day!
Mr Harrington taught me how
To cut that fruit and flick that stone
Place it neatly down; do it all over again!
When it was hot and morning tea came around
I'd beg my mum for a few coins
To get a couple of "Slippery Sam's"
Just the same as today's "Zooper Doopers"
Frozen flavoured ice!
Mrs Harrington used to laugh because
It was in Hungarian that I asked
Until I got to the part "Slippery Sam's"
Now Mr Hopkins had a cooling roadside van
Beside the highway near that ferry crossing
At Kingston-on-Murray!
I still remember' like it was yesterday!





No comments:

Post a Comment